Old 28-06-2014, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default preparing sandy ground to sow a lawn from seed?

On 28/06/2014 00:45, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
welly_59 wrote:

I've recently moved house and have a 30m2 patch of ground that I want to
sow a lawn on. The top 10m2 or so used to have a patio laid on top of it
so it is really sandy, maybe 3 inches or so of sand before you reach any
type of soil.

The rest of the ground is generally slightly sandy and quite compact.

What should I do to prepare this ground for sowing grass seed on?

Dig it over, remove stones and level it. Grass likes sandy soil.
If it is VERY poor, adding some topsoil might help.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

What sort of soil do you have under the sand.
Have you thought about turf?