Old 28-06-2014, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner Derek Turner is offline

Default OT web site question

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 14:08:46 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Changing the file format was easy and quick, I have looked at HTML5 but
I am not sure if/how I can change at least the home page over to that?
You must understand I am a bear of little brain and don't really want to
spend hours re doing 800 pages on my web site just so a couple of clips
work. but if there is a way I can re code the home page I will give that
a go.

As an experiment, you could try changing the first three lines of your
home page (the local copy, obviously) from:

html

head

(which it is at present, where no document type is declared and browsers
just have to guess) to

!DOCTYPE html
html
head

(which declares it HTML5) and see if it breaks anything! Then put in the
VIDEO tags as I suggested and see if that works.

Tidying it up properly to remove all the invalid (microsoft) values and
tags, and obsolete tags, and putting all the formatting into a cascading
style-sheet would be a much bigger undertaking. How about £10 a page?