Old 29-06-2014, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Deep coloured lavender

In article ,
On 2014-06-29 09:37:56 +0000, David Hill said:

I was reading something the other day about a British native plant that
deepened in colour the further east you found it, can't remember what
it was for the life of me.

I seem to remember Liz Pridham mentioning on GW the other week that the
native honeysuckle tends to get more of a pinkish tinge the further east
you go.

In my part of East Anglia it does seem to be variable with some wild
hedgerow honeysuckles I've seen being yellow and cream with just a
slight pink tinge and a few being noticeably pinker.

I have seen both more-or-less pure yellow/cream and definitely
red/yellow honeysuckle in Wales - and not just the odd plant,
either. Yes, it's variable, but I doubt that it's mainly
geographic.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.