Old 30-06-2014, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default I think they got it wrong

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

It is possible to predict whether an area
will get rain or sun, but not whether a location will, nor very often
how much.

The one that always amuses me is the generic summer forecast: "Hazy, hot,
humid, scattered thunderstorms." Nobody can predict just where, but when
there's enough energy and moisture, you can be pretty sure things will
happen. On those days, I take an occasional look at the radar images to
see where things are popping up.
And yes, everybody wants the simple capsule form.
Anybody else remember a short story "irtnog," I think. All the day's news
was condensed into one word, so people could keep up to date without mental
effort.
Here endeth the soapbox.