Old 30-06-2014, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Davej Davej is offline

Default Berry Pickin'!

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:02:02 PM UTC-5, bluechick wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014, Davej wrote:
On Monday, June 2, 2014, bluechick wrote:

We also planted some thornless varieties (Arapaho
and Ouachita) at the same time but they seem to be
less vigorous. Anyone with experience with thornless
blackberries?

I've been very happy with my thornless blackberries
which I planted perhaps 20 years ago. Don't make the
error I made and plant them next to a fence because
of course they will spread and soon will be right up
against the fence and then you won't have the access
to keep the weeds under control. This is a good damp
berry year here. I have been picking raspberries and
the thornless blackberries are just turning pink now.

Hi, Dave!

Are your thornless blackberries as prolific as the thorny varieties?

Prolific? They are vigorous and productive if they get full sun and adequate moisture. There are plenty of berries per year-old stem, and with enough watering they make big berries. The berries are probably not as sweet as the thorny types. Last Winter was very cold and killed the ends of some of the stems. Adding a layer of mulch to the row every year is a good idea. My berries are now pink so I should try to cover them with bird netting soon. I had a thorny variety also but they were so difficult to tend and mow around that I finally mowed them down. I do have raspberries but they are nothing compared to the hook-shaped thorns of the blackberries.