Old 26-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Torsten Brinch

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:45:13 +0100, Torsten Brinch
wrote:
One of the reactions on Commissioner Fischler's proposal to
put in a capping system in the subsidies

"Initial estimates from the National Farmers' Union suggest that
almost 600 English farms - about 2 per cent of the total - would
exceed the 300,000 Euro ceiling, representing a total financial
loss of about £62m if the measure was approved. About 30 Scottish
farms would also be affected."

600 English farms = 2 % of the total
= Total number of English farms = 30,000 farms

600 English farms losing £62 million
= A loss of ~£100,000 per farm.

600 English farms on status quo, receiving 300,000 Euro + £100,000
= Status quo = an average £300,000 hand-out to each of 600 farms.

If we go for Fischler's proposal, they will only get £200,000
and there will be £62 million to give to somebody else.

Perhaps we could discuss the best use of these £62m.
Who should have it?

We better take off from your beloved status quo, then.
Now, imagine this, believe it or not, additional funding
has been made available in the EU budget to be put into
the farm end of food-production. The share allotted to
farming in England has been set to £62m/yr.
Who should have it?