Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Wheat seed?

On 29/06/2014 11:48 PM, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I want to grow some wheat to make my own bread. Where can I buy the seed?

There is an elderly (1980) British book called "Growing wheat & making
bread on a small scale" by Hugh Coats and J. R. Stanford published by
Thorsons Publishers Limited, Wellingborough, Nothamptonshire that may
interest you.

It's been a long time since I read it but glancing over it again, it's
full of interesting info such as a twelfth of an acre producing enough
wheat for a family for a year if they are using 4 loaves a week.

I haven't noticed it in the book, but the UK used to grow soft wheat and
for good bread, hard winter wheat is the type that is preferred for
bread making.