Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Mushroom ID

Steve Peek wrote:
On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:11:49 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

On 1/07/2014 2:38 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

I have found a patch several , actually of what I believe to
be

chanterelle mushrooms . Does anyone here have the knowledge to
help

me ID these ? I will post photos of both the 'shrooms where
they're

growing and the one I picked to ID them .

We love mushrooms ... I sure hope these are edible !

Here's the link to my photobucket mushrooms album

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Even if a number of people who post here swear on a stack of bibles

that they are safe to eat, I'd still be wary given how toxic some

mushrooms can be.

I pick and eat field mushrooms but even then I'm wary given that
there

have been a number of deaths in near proximity to where I live form

mushroom poisoning.

Do you have any higher education institutes near you where there
might

be a mycologist on staff?

I'll call the county extension agent , he might have or know
someone . I

don't know of anyone in the area that is a 'shroom hunter , have to
check .

My neighbor knows everything else , maybe ...

--

Snag

You are in Arkansas, I think. There's a great mycological
(mycology=study of fungi) society there. I have a friend or two in
that group (I've been picking and eating wild fungi for more than 40
years). Do a Google search for NAMA (North American Mycological
Society). They will list affiliated groups, find one near you and
join in.
Steve

Will do , Steve , and thanks so much for your help in IDing these guys .
Yes , we're in Stone County Ar. on top of the Boston Mountains . We got all
kinds of wonderful stuff growing out in the woods !

--
Snag