Old 02-07-2014, 01:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Slug control on GQT

Jeff Layman wrote:
: On 01/07/2014 13:55, Sacha wrote:
: On 2014-07-01 12:34:30 +0000, Martin Brown said:
:
: On 01/07/2014 02:19, ] wrote:
: Dear All,
: On Sunday's Gardeners Question Time on Radio 4, in a discussion
: on slug control on runner beans an anti-slug spray was mentioned. It
: was described as an organic, calcium based spray that can be applied
: to the leaves and deterred the slugs. See
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b047cb01 25 minutes into the
: recording. Does anyone know what this stuff is and where it can be
: obtained?
:
: It appears to be slaked lime and is only Organic(TM) in the sense that
: the Henry Doublspeak organisation does not absolutely forbid using it.
:
: But wouldn't that do harm to many plants? Are we looking at the cure
: being worse than the disease?!

: I guess that the main problem would be with ericaceous plants, as slaked
: lime is very alkaline. But then you probably wouldn't have need to use
: it on ericaceous plants - AFAIAA slugs tend to leave those alone.

Slaked lime isn't likely to encourage snails is it?! They are attracted to
limestone rocks and lime washed walls etc. for calcium for their shells
aren't they?

re; 'organic' from a chemistry class standpoint it is a small irony
that Calcium Hydroxide is a carbon-free ionic bonded compound!

Tom.

Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.
--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.