Old 02-07-2014, 07:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Judith in England Judith in England is offline

Default Soakaway

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 20:20:14 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 19:58:06 +0100, Judith in England wrote:

The grass at the side of the beds has become very, very wet - and
really never dries out: it is particularly noticeable in the morning
after the night watering session. The raised beds drain very, very
well.

I think i'd turn down the watering and keep an eye on the plants in
the raised beds.

We have the watering coming on twice during the night - for 15 mins each time -
six hours apart.
I did this last year - and the raised beds did not get "soggy" at all. All the
produce from them was fantastic. So I don't think the watering is the problem
- it is the getting rid of that water once it has left the raised beds.

Is aggregate the correct thing to fill the trench with - or do I use
course gravel - or something else?

Take a look at http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain03.htm and possibly
other parts of that site.

Good site: thanks