Old 03-07-2014, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Picking Blueberries

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 15:01:51 -0400, "Not@home" wrote:

My blueberry plants have matured, and are full of fruit. The berries
seem to be in clusters and today one cluster will have a couple of
berries that are blue, but quite a few more that are still green. So
I'm wondering if one should pick the ripe ones, or wait for the whole
cluster to ripen (as one does for grapes). Picking is not easy, because
we built cages from seine netting since the birds prefer their berries
green, and removing the netting is quite a project.

We leave one side of the netting accessible with a peel back just so
we can go in and pick as the berries ripen. Pick each one when it
appears to reach its peak (different varieties ripen with different
colors, so you may have to do a bit of tasting to get it right), and
do not wait for the whole cluster to ripen.

Boron