Old 04-07-2014, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Mushroom ID

Nelly W wrote:

If he says he is growing his own chanties, then I think maybe he is a
liar. And JFTR, there can most definitely be *very* similar looking
species growing amongst one another. Proximity is no way to ID
anything, presumption here is really not an option if you want to
live long. I _personally_ don't know anyone who's had an allergy to
chanties, ...
OTOH when I grew up nobody heard of anyone in the world ever having
allergy to peanuts, either.

No , he's not cultivating Chanterelles , here's a quote from his email to
me :

"As far as edible mushrooms are concerned, I cultivate the ones we eat,
pluroteus ostreatus, pluroteus eryngii, and hericium erinaceus. I have
tried cultivating some others, unsuccessfully.

because i have found so few edible species in my nature walks in north
central arkansas, i never go looking for them now."

And yes , I know proximity is no indicator . But when you see a cluster of
mushrooms that all look identical , I believe it would be safe to assume
they're the same . Moot point , because I'm not going to be eating them . I
suspect I am sensitive to something in/on those shrooms , 24 hours after I
picked it I'm bustin' out in hives and they are the only thing different in
things I do/eat/handle .

--
Snag