Old 04-07-2014, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Mushroom ID

Nelly W wrote:
On 7/4/2014 8:47 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Nelly W wrote:

If he says he is growing his own chanties, then I think maybe he is
a liar. And JFTR, there can most definitely be *very* similar
looking species growing amongst one another. Proximity is no way to
ID anything, presumption here is really not an option if you want to
live long. I _personally_ don't know anyone who's had an allergy to
chanties, ...
OTOH when I grew up nobody heard of anyone in the world ever having
allergy to peanuts, either.

No , he's not cultivating Chanterelles , here's a quote from his
email to me :

"As far as edible mushrooms are concerned, I cultivate the ones we
eat, pluroteus ostreatus, pluroteus eryngii, and hericium erinaceus.
I have tried cultivating some others, unsuccessfully.

because i have found so few edible species in my nature walks in
north central arkansas, i never go looking for them now."

And yes , I know proximity is no indicator . But when you see a
cluster of mushrooms that all look identical , I believe it would be
safe to assume they're the same . Moot point , because I'm not going
to be eating them . I suspect I am sensitive to something in/on
those shrooms , 24 hours after I picked it I'm bustin' out in hives
and they are the only thing different in things I do/eat/handle .

I always feel compelled to stress the importance of judging each
specimen on its own merits, is all. I've found the little orange wax
caps amongst chanties many times, but they are pretty harmless.
Hives? Jeepers. Guess it's a good thing you didn't try eating them.
Although I don't suppose it could've been surrounding vegetation?
Giant hogweed?

I don't really know what triggered it , might have been handling that
mushroonm , might have been the 2 bee stings on monday . Seems to be
lessening today , but then I've been taking the max dose of benadryl .
--
Snag