Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Success at last!

On 2014-07-04 13:17:08 +0000, Emery Davis said:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 23:16:28 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We did an evening tour of the garden and walking up the nursery path,
Raymond glanced at the Liriodendron tulipifera he planted about 20 years
ago, maybe more and let out a yell. For the first time ever, it's
flowered! We counted about a dozen blooms on it. It's only waited until
it's around 35' tall! Do they usually take so long to flower?

Congratulations! Ours is about the same size and age, and only started a
couple of years ago. I think it had been at it for a few years but there
were so few, and they're a bit discreet, that we hadn't noticed. This
year there are dozens high in the tree, and even one right at eye level!

I know how you feel though it seemed as though it would never get around
to it! (I once met Henny Youngman, he asked me if I had ever gotten
around to it; when I looked puzzled he handed me a wooden coin inscribed
"tuit." I think I still have it).

Lol! I was given a 'tuit' by someone who used to work for me. It was
horribly apt! Matthew (Ray's son & partner) says he thinks he saw a
couple of flowers last year but forgot to mention it... Sigh...
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com