Old 26-04-2003, 12:26 PM

Default Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease

This is fantastic, it has the capacity of changing names depending what
species is affecting. jajajajaja
No mad cow humans, just Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

This deer transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE), however, apparently
has shown that injestion of contaminated tissues is NOT required for transmission.
I see it potentially more dangerous than the Mad Cow strains. Maybe contact
with contaminated fecal particles is enough.
But lets just wait for 10 or 15 years for the incubation period to show me wrong,
lets do nothing.

Deer feces in my gardening organic soil?

____________
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../cwdmdce.shtml
It is not certain how Chronic wasting disease CWD is transmitted, but based
on experience with the disease in captive deer species in facilities in the
states of Colorado and Wyoming, both lateral (animal to animal) and maternal
(mother to offspring) transmission may be possible. The most likely means of
transmission is between animals that are in close contact with each other.
The epidemiology supports the lateral transmission as the major mode of
transmission as most affected animals in the Colorado and Wyoming facilities
were unrelated. In addition, the elk and mule deer placed in paddocks that
had housed infected cervids for many years, became infected, even though there
were no other cervids on the premises, leading to the assumption that the
environment of a facility could transmit the disease. There were a few cases
of CWD in offspring of dams which developed the disease but it was not possible
to rule out lateral transmission.

Is there a risk to human health?
There is currently no scientific evidence that CWD affects humans, but we
must exercise caution since there is some evidence to suggest that BSE can
affect humans, which is another TSE also known as mad cow disease.

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Lotus wrote in message
Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease

- http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow.htm

This appears to be a US website and appears to lack any depth of
knowledge of BSE

I found it full of good links. And good luck with your burger.