Old 05-07-2014, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Mushroom ID

On 5/07/2014 6:29 AM, Steve Peek wrote:

In all my years of picking and eating from the wild, I've only seen one example of negative reaction to chanterelles. I group of friends and I along with a journalist (who was detailing our foray) were passing about a bottle of chanterelle infused vodka. The journalist had severe throat swelling and severe shortness of breath. Lucky one of the group had some benadryl.

Be careful when trying something new. Only eat a small amount until you see if it affects you.

I don't think I'd be trying even a small amount of an unkown fungi.

There have been multiple warning in the media here following the deaths
that arose from eating the wrong sort of fungi that ingesting even a
small amount of some of the more toxic fungi can cause major system
damage.

The warnings might be over cautious but given that fungi death results
from damage to the liver I take the warnings seriously. I'm rather fond
of my liver. I think if I drank booze I'd probably be even more fond of
it as I'd use it more than I currently do.