Old 06-07-2014, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Request for plant ids

On 06/07/14 11:14, Chris Hogg wrote:

Just one comment: that's a massive overdose of fertiliser. You only
need a light scattering of fertiliser, BFB or whatever, around the
base of the plant (whatever it is), possibly followed by lightly
raking it in and watering. Too much fertiliser has a greater chance of
killing a plant that too little. You probably got away with it this
time because it was a slow release fertiliser, but you might not be so
lucky next time.

Hi Chris,

I really wasn't sure of the dosage - and I was counting on BFB being a
slow release all rounder which is why I chose it I couldn't rake it
in as the soil is solid roots near the surface.

Certainly if I'd done this with pure sodium/potassium nitrate I expect
the plant would be one fire by now :-o But granted I might have been a
bit heavy handed with the BFB!

On an aside - the grass in the immediate area seems to like it - is BFB
good *lightly* scattered on lawns? Soil here is poor and I sometimes
spray on a lawn fertiliser but that's fast and short lived.

Cheers

Tim