Old 06-07-2014, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Chard

On 05/07/2014 09:53, David in Normandy wrote:
On 02/07/2014 13:00, Indigo wrote:
I've got a little bit of room left in our veg plot so had a look to see
what veg seed can still be sown in July. Chard could be an option but
I've never tried growing it before. Are pigeons generally any problem?

[...]

I grow Swiss Chard every year. It is a very easy crop to grow and has
very few pests. The pigeons leave it untouched. Originally I grew it as
an alternative to spinach which has a tendency to bold to seed, but
chard is more forgiving of dry spells. The stems are even better to eat
than the green leaves. I now grow it for the leaf stems (as intended)
and chop them fine and use them in soups, stews or fried with some lardons.

Sounds delicious - and the red and yellow stems will be attractive too,
which can't be bad. Chard it is then. Thanks David.

--
Sue