Old 06-07-2014, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Request for plant ids

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 10:44:47 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Sorry the threading's broken - I do not have the original to reply to
since change of USENET provider.

Anyway - a good while back you guys kindly gave me some plant ID advice.

This one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...718469/sizes/l

looked dead. But someone kindly suggested it needed some nitrates.

So I got some blood,fish & bone pellets and using an iron bar, made a
series (about 6) of 6" deep 2" wide holes at various locations ina 1
foot radius around the main stem.

I filled each hole with BFB pellets and covered over, then watered (it
get's watered when I put the lawn sprinkler on (new grass nearby had to
do that).

Anyway - this is the plant now:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...133018/sizes/l

I don't think I've seen it flower before. So I reckon the fertiliser worked.

Next year, when it's regained some strenght I will see about
transplanting it to the other side of the lawn.

If I were you, meanwhile I'd layer a stem or two into a pot of compost.
They root very easily and you have a standby if the transplant doesn't
take, or a spare plant if it does. Spares are always useful for swaps
:-)

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/hon...e-propagation-
methods#.U7kzj0CM6So

you don't need the rooting hormone IME