Old 06-07-2014, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Clover in lawns

In article ,
says...

Again sorry for the broken threading - but I believe advice should be
followed up with the outcome for other's benefit

After scarifying my lawn (violently with a Bosch verticutter) I
scattered grass seed and a mix of clover seeds (red, white, some other
wild white) everywhere.

This is how it turned out after mowing (high setting) yesterday, a
couple of months later:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...7645126458178/

This is not and never will be an ornamental lawn. A couple of years ago
it looked horrid - lots of bare patched, course grass (you can still see
some in the closeups).

But I am pleased with the clover. Some of it tends to shoot up high but
despite that it still mows OK and the broad leaves give exceelen ground
cover underfoot - super on bare feet!

Not to everyone's liking but I'm pleased with where this is going.

looks good to me. I like clover and daisies in the lawn, but not
buttercups hawkbit dandelions or plantains which compete with grass.

What I'm less pleased with is some of the grass seed I bought (all minus
rye grass) is growing very tall and course - whereas other seeds are
growing very fine the way I like. Not sure how to avoid that problem - I
cannot even remember what went where now...

regular mowing will eventually discourage the coarser ones.

Janet