Old 07-07-2014, 05:22 PM
OldWasp OldWasp is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
On Monday, July 7, 2014 3:51:15 AM UTC-4, OldWasp wrote:
Hello

I have never grown grass before so would appreciate some advice.

When I moved in, my garden was an absolute jungle due to it being

untouched for around 10 years. I have now cleared one side and want to

get grass growing.

My question is about using a weed barrier to stop any roots/seeds from

coming back up.

Using a weed barrier where? I'm not a big fan of weed barriers, but
if they are going to be used, they are used in landscaped beds, around
trees, etc, not where you have turf. How would grass grow if you have
a weed barrier?

Would this work do you think? Obviously, I would use a weed barrier that

allows water to drain through and I would probably have around 3 inches

of top soil/compost on top for my seeds.

And the weeds will grow just like the grass grows.

Also, is it best to use compost on the top to level it all off, or do I

need to use top soil? I am not really sure what the difference between

the two is.

You want topsoil. Compost can be mixed in. Topsoil is the top layer of
the soil, extending from a few inches to maybe a foot or so, depending on
the area. Compost is decayed organic matter. Topsoil consists of some
compost, which occurs naturally from decaying vegetation, plus other soil
components like sand, clay, etc. If the topsoil is good, you don't need
to add compost. For growing new turf in most areas, you don't need to
add compost in, but it can help. What you use depends on what is available
locally and how much it costs.

I'd google for lawn renovation or seeding a new lawn. Also, don't know
where you are, climate, etc. But if it's a cool season grass area and
it's summer now, it's the worst time to try to establish a new lawn.
Fall, ie Sept is best time. Then you have cooler temps. Now you'd have
to water the lawn many times a day to keep it wet. And even once it starts
to grow, you have to keep putting water on it if it's 85F. You also
have huge competition from weeds. In Sept, nature is on your side. And
then the lawn has a long time to establish good roots, before it hits
it's first summer stress. If you want a lawn now, I'd consider buying sod,
depending on area, budget, etc.
[...]

Thanks for the advice.

I meant put the weed barrier on top of the soil, then add more soil on top (e.g. 3 inches) for the grass to grow on.

I am going to have to top up the soil area so that it is level, so I was just wondering whether there is any advantage from putting a weed barrier down before I put fresh top soil on top to level it.

I am in Scotland so I was thinking to do it about now when the sun is still out. My box of seeds says September is the latest time of year you can sow them.

Don't have money to spend on turf but it's not urgent either so I can wait for the seeds to grow.