Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rabbit!

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I went out in the dark with a flash light to water my
garden. Found the cutest little wabbit (Elmer Fudd speak
for "rabbit") about the size of a baseball taking a nap
in my zukes. He got a bath but good and now resides in
other parts of my yard. Though he was a rat at first.

Are rabbits something to worry about? If so, how would
you rid your garden of them?

Many thanks,
-T

Rabbits can become your worst nightmare if they reach large numbers, even a
few can be quite destructive if they keep returning. If your garden is the
best (only) food about they can strip anything up to knee high. Contrary to
Bugs Bunny cartoons they don't subsist on just carrots. It is heartbreaking
to have all your seedlings chomped at ground level.

A vigliant Kelpie will severely discourage them - if you call being eaten
disouraging. A waist height wire mesh fence will keep them out, they are
not very smart and they don't jump the high bar but try to get through.
Thank your stars you don't have roos.