Old 08-07-2014, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Help!? Baby oak tree & rose bushes.. clueless

On 2014-07-07 15:14:52 +0000, Louise89 said:

Hi, i hope i am posting this in the right place, this is my first ever
post.

I have some bushes that someone started to cut down for me.. (i am now
left with a huge pile of sharp, thorny garden waste which im attempting
to get rid of one green bin at a time...)

My problem is i have a 3 year old daughter and now am left with 2 rose
bushes, three other bushes (no idea!) and what im told is a very small
oak tree (about 2ft high, its like a little bush with oak leaves).

Theyve all been cut back as far as my rubbish gardening equipment would
allow, but now im left with them like that thanks to my friends help..
what can i do? Theyre literallly no leaves/flowers just sharp or thorny
branches!

Am i literally going to have to dig them out one by one to the root?
Today i applied some bush killer (similar to round ups bush killer i
think) but ive no idea how long ill wait, or if ill still need to dig
them all up?

Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated, i am a totaly newbie
to having a garden and really just want a little garden with some easy
flowers and a veg patch eventually when this is dealt with.

Thanks in advance!
Louise x

If you have a gardening neighbour, you could ask him or her to come and
have a look for you. I don't quite understand why you want to kill off
roses, but wonder if these are roses? If they are, they should be
flowering now, not be bare stems. It sounds as if the 'someone' who
cut all this down has created more of a problem than they have solved.
Are you able to have bonfires in your garden, watched over carefully
and with a hosepipe to hand. If not and the mound of rubbish is that
high, there are people who will come and take it away but there will be
a charge, obviously. If you're goiing to use the chemicals you
describe I think you need to know why you're doing it and what you're
doing. Some of thosse things are very dangerous to small children, so
make sure yours is clearly labeled and locked out of your daughter's
reach.

But I would certainly say your first move should be to find someone who
can help you with free information. Most gardeners are very happy to
share and pass on expertise and information and if you're really lucky,
you may find a few free plants or seeds coming your way. In the
meantime, look at the range of Expert Gardener books by Dr Hessayon.
They're easy to follow and really helpful if you're just starting out.
Good luck with your garden!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com