Old 08-07-2014, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Rabbit!

On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 11:12:37 AM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
On 07/08/2014 01:22 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Todd wrote:

Hi All,

I went out in the dark with a flash light to water my

garden. Found the cutest little wabbit (Elmer Fudd speak

for "rabbit") about the size of a baseball taking a nap

in my zukes. He got a bath but good and now resides in

other parts of my yard. Though he was a rat at first.

Are rabbits something to worry about? If so, how would

you rid your garden of them?

Many thanks,

-T

Rabbits can become your worst nightmare if they reach large numbers,

even a few can be quite destructive if they keep returning. If your

garden is the best (only) food about they can strip anything up to knee

high. Contrary to Bugs Bunny cartoons they don't subsist on just

carrots. It is heartbreaking to have all your seedlings chomped at

ground level.

A vigliant Kelpie will severely discourage them - if you call being

eaten disouraging. A waist height wire mesh fence will keep them out,

they are not very smart and they don't jump the high bar but try to get

through. Thank your stars you don't have roos.

Hi David,

Thank you.

Researching he web tells me to spray everything with

a diluted mixture of Tabasco sauce or any hot pepper.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Uh, we don't have rabbits, but when I eye the squirrels who terminated my (former) avocados with extreme prejudice,* and decimated my (former) apricots
I think dark thoughts...

Alas, it's a little late - several decades late -- to ask my son to return the .22 which he took with him when he went out into the wide world.

*CIA-talk for offing people.

HB

-T