Old 09-07-2014, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Slug control on GQT

wrote:
: Jeff Layman wrote:
: : On 01/07/2014 13:55, Sacha wrote:
: : On 2014-07-01 12:34:30 +0000, Martin Brown said:
: :
: : On 01/07/2014 02:19, ] wrote:
: : Dear All,
: : On Sunday's Gardeners Question Time on Radio 4, in a discussion
: : on slug control on runner beans an anti-slug spray was mentioned. It
: : was described as an organic, calcium based spray that can be applied
: : to the leaves and deterred the slugs. See
: :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b047cb01 25 minutes into the
: : recording. Does anyone know what this stuff is and where it can be
: : obtained?
: :
: : It appears to be slaked lime and is only Organic(TM) in the sense that
: : the Henry Doublspeak organisation does not absolutely forbid using it.
: :
: : But wouldn't that do harm to many plants? Are we looking at the cure
: : being worse than the disease?!

: : I guess that the main problem would be with ericaceous plants, as slaked
: : lime is very alkaline. But then you probably wouldn't have need to use
: : it on ericaceous plants - AFAIAA slugs tend to leave those alone.

: Slaked lime isn't likely to encourage snails is it?! They are attracted to
: limestone rocks and lime washed walls etc. for calcium for their shells
: aren't they?

: re; 'organic' from a chemistry class standpoint it is a small irony
: that Calcium Hydroxide is a carbon-free ionic bonded compound!

This topic is also being discussed here
http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ray_80383.html
where the poster writes,

"I think the speaker probably meant this stuff Grazers Slugs and Snails
(http://www.gardening-naturally.com/a...nd-Snails.html)
which, if is like Sluggo is based on Iron Phosphate and
interferes with the slug/snail's calcium metabolism. So not based
on calcium."

Anyone like to comment?

Regards
Tom.

Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.
--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.