Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default It's Official

In article
" writes:

That is great, you have a much bigger variety of things than I do.
I have been thinking about a fall crop but honestly I am not sure
I could take the disappointment. I have never really had any luck
with a second round of squash. SO I may just wait until later and
re plant some cabbage, lettuce and sugar peas. Question? Will the
borers stick around? The plants will all come out and I will re-till
the dirt but is that enough?

Squash vine borers are moth caterpillers, and the eggs are laid
directly on/in the vine. So if you are worrying about more of them
in the soil, that isn't a problem. Of course, they may still have
a nearby population, so there is no guarantee.

I don't grow much that is bothered by them (though I have some acorn
squash in this year), but the best thing I've heard is to use row
covers. If the adults can't get to the vines, they can't lay eggs
there.

Do I need to rotate?

Can't hurt, if you have enough planting spaces.

The other thing that has confused me is that I have done more to
enrich the soil than I ever have. I have a bunch of black cow and
used lots of coffee grounds. I use Epsom for the peppers and
10.10.10 for everything else, always have. I was told the coffee
grounds would get rid of the fire ants and well as be good for the
dirt but the ants are still around and then I was told un-composted
coffee grounds are bad.

People say lots of things about coffee grounds. I'm not sure how
many of them have been confirmed by biologists. Mine go into the
compost pile with everything else, mostly because I'm lazy. They
tend to be acidic, which is good for some plants and bad for others.

I even kept things well weeded, geesh

And my failed garden is well mulched. I suspect that some of my
direct-seeded problems are from too much mulch zealotry.

--
Drew Lawson | If dreams were thunder,