Old 11-07-2014, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Strawberry runners redux

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:59:11 PM UTC-7, songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

But I planted the damn things to get fruit NOW!

what variety(ies) did you plant?

Can't remember exact. June-bearing. Chandler, a local standard.

have they been getting enough water?
Yes

how hot has it been?
Varies between 70-75 F to days of 80+

how much light do they get?
a lot

are they near a wall or rocks that may be reflecting or storing heat?
Yes. Against a pink block wall, nearest plant about 1-1/2' away; others 3-4'
IS THAT BAD????

Any comment on runners vs. fruit?

if you don't need the extra plants to fill a space then it is better to not have the plants putting energy into runners.

Aha! That's what I thought but was misled by contrary info. As I noted earlier, since we're told that strawberries should be pulled after 3+ years, need action now!
ANY THOUGHTS ABOUT HOW LONG KEEP PLANTS?

3-5 plants per square foot is plenty.

At present have far fewer.

Tx for input, Songie!

HB