Old 12-07-2014, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Strawberry runners redux

Higgs Boson wrote:
songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

But I planted the damn things to get fruit NOW!

what variety(ies) did you plant?

Can't remember exact. June-bearing. Chandler, a local standard.

did they have flowers/fruit on them when
you planted them?

anyways, likely they are past the time
for flowering/fruiting and that's it until
next season.

have they been getting enough water?
Yes

how hot has it been?
Varies between 70-75 F to days of 80+

how much light do they get?
a lot

that helps.

are they near a wall or rocks that may be reflecting or storing heat?
Yes. Against a pink block wall, nearest plant about 1-1/2' away; others 3-4'
IS THAT BAD????

only if it gets too hot. in cooler climates
it is a way of extending the season.

Any comment on runners vs. fruit?

if you don't need the extra plants to
fill a space then it is better to not have
the plants putting energy into runners.

Aha! That's what I thought but was misled by contrary info. As I noted earlier, since we're told that strawberries should be pulled after 3+ years, need action now!
ANY THOUGHTS ABOUT HOW LONG KEEP PLANTS?

most references and my own experience says
about three years and then move the patch
to another spot. if you don't have bug or
disease problems then you can keep them in
the same place, but you will still want to
replace the oldest plants and do some work
on the soil to get it recharged. i turn
most of my plants under and grow beans and
peas and add green manure/worm castings.
mulching with pine-needles, shredded bark,
etc. seems to be going well other than the
black spot, but it doesn't affect fruit
quality or much else so i don't worry just
makes the plants look sad right about now
(after the first big crop). in a few weeks
they'll look ok again when they get the
new growth going.

3-5 plants per square foot is plenty.

At present have far fewer.

put some ever bearing plants in and you might
have another crop or two yet.

Tx for input, Songie!

y.w.

songbird