Old 13-07-2014, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Strawberry runners redux

On Saturday, July 12, 2014 6:05:49 AM UTC-7, songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

songbird wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

But I planted the damn things to get fruit NOW!

what variety(ies) did you plant?

Can't remember exact. June-bearing. Chandler, a local standard.

did they have flowers/fruit on them when

you planted them?

No fruit. Flowers either when planted or VERY SOON afterwards.
anyways, likely they are past the time for flowering/fruiting and that's it until next season.

Grrrr! It's partly my fault for buying into the inaccurate runner philosophy. Wasted at least 3 weeks. Have just cut off all, will replant the babies just for the helluvit.

have they been getting enough water?

Yes

how hot has it been?

Varies between 70-75 F to days of 80+

how much light do they get?

a lot

that helps.

are they near a wall or rocks that may be reflecting or storing heat?

Yes. Against a pink block wall, nearest plant about 1-1/2' away; others 3-4'

IS THAT BAD????

only if it gets too hot. in cooler climates it is a way of extending the season.

So doesn't sound like it would be a factor here.

Any comment on runners vs. fruit?

if you don't need the extra plants to

fill a space then it is better to not have

the plants putting energy into runners.

Aha! That's what I thought but was misled by contrary info. As I noted earlier, since we're told that strawberries should be pulled after 3+ years, need action now!

ANY THOUGHTS ABOUT HOW LONG KEEP PLANTS?

most references and my own experience says

about three years and then move the patch

to another spot.

if you don't have bug or disease problems then you can keep them in

the same place, but you will still want to replace the oldest plants and do some work on the soil to get it recharged.

OK, wisdom filed for future use -- if I'm spared to carry out the move g
My last foray into strawberries is probably 4-5 years ago, and I don't remember and problems. Only did away with the site because of general garden config.

i turn most of my plants under and grow beans and peas and add green manure/worm castings.

mulching with pine-needles, shredded bark,

Ah, another worm casting freak! I debated started my own production, but ended up buying worm castings from store. Always use for transplant, and you're reminding me I have to cultivate around roots of many plants, and mix in worm casting.

Hard to keep up with things, given all the watering one has to do.
Water is very expen$ive here and will probably get more so, given our State drought conditions.

etc. seems to be going well other than the

black spot, but it doesn't affect fruit

quality or much else so i don't worry just

makes the plants look sad right about now

(after the first big crop). in a few weeks

they'll look ok again when they get the

new growth going.

3-5 plants per square foot is plenty.

At present have far fewer.

put some ever bearing plants in and you might have another crop or two yet.

From your mouth to Her ear! Appreciate all the practical advice.

Tx for input, Songie!

y.w.

HB