Old 26-04-2003, 12:27 PM
Jim Webster

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

Michelle Fulton wrote in message
.com...

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

As in Europe many industries are subsidised, either directly, or by
being given tax breaks, the idea that agriculture should some how

stand
alone is interesting to say the least.

It's especially interesting to me because it seems the only industry

that we
can't live without, literally.

A friend of mine who farms was at a family do three or four years ago,
and the husband of a cousin pointed out that we didn't need to produce
beef in the UK as they could import it as cheap as they wanded from
Zimbabwe.

(As an aside I wonder why he couldn't see the obvious writing on the
wall, given that Mugabee has hardly been hiding his aims for the last
decade or two.)

Funnily enough my friend has been waiting enthusiastically for the next
family wedding, to ask whether his cousins husband is still getting
plenty of Zimbabwean beef.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'