Old 13-07-2014, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Life is Good

George Shirley wrote:
On 7/12/2014 7:23 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Today we she made 9 1/2 pint jars of blackberry jam from
berries picked on our land , and canned 4 quarts of home grown green
beans . And for dinner we had spaghetti made in part from our
tomatoes last year . frozen and seasoned in part with our cayenne
peppers . In a little while , I'll top the day off with some
blackberry cobbler and ice cream .

So it is, I did nothing today. Dear wife is off to a religious retreat
for the weekend and the dawg and I laid around and read science
fiction novels, ate four meals of what we wanted, and watched the
news a lot to see how far down this country can go.

Oh yeah, I did turn the soaker hoses on the vegetable gardens for an
hour and even hand watered the fig and kumquat trees. I guess that
qualifies as work. I think I will have a small bowl of Blue Bell
Southern Blackberry Cobbler ice cream in celebration.

I do envy the home grown blackberries, our land is so small we have to
go pick at a berry farm and then pay for the privilege. And I am
waiting in anticipation for the Hopi Red Limas to make enough beans
that I can can in the pressure canner.

George

Sounds like you had an enjoyable day ! I never did get that cobbler , I
was so full of spaghetti I just couldn't . Today will be a light day for me
, I'll probably go out and play with my toys in the machine shop . Got a
couple of small projects in mind , like a GPS mount bracket for the bike . I
never thought that'd happen , I like paper maps but the machine is so handy
I usually check the garden when I feed the chickens , noticed today that
we have li'l okras and the roma tomatoes are starting to ripen . BTW , I'm
not sure how to tell when the corn is ready to pick , I haven't grown any
before since I'm the only one that eats it - she's allergic . Some ears have
tassels that are turning brown , but they don't really look big enough yet .
On the land situation , we have 12 acres , but it's mostly all covered
with trees except a patch about the size of an average building lot and the
powerline easements , but I can't cultivat there . I did clear an area for
the orchard too - if my garden is going to get any bigger currently abt
1000sf I'll have to cut some more trees down .
--
Snag