Old 14-07-2014, 01:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Pre-treat weeds with soapy water before spraying weed killer?

On 7/14/14, 7:11 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/14/2014 12:46 AM, Bob F wrote:
HomeGuy" "Home wrote:
Does anyone have a clue regarding if the effectiveness of
water-soluble weed killer is increased if a surface-tension reducing
agent is used?

You could try adding a bit of liquid soap to the spray as you mix it
and see if
it works better.

Have to try plain Roundup on one side of the yard,
then add some soap and do the other side of the yard.
Do an A versus B test. I'd like to hear how the test
works out. I do use Roundup on my weeds.

I looked into Roundup a few months ago so I could tell a neighbor the
shelf life. Monsanto says 6 months after mixing, and it's the
surfacant, not the glyphosate, that breaks down. She bought another
brand. The label mentions only glyphosate, but the way it foams leads
me to believe it, too, contains surfacant.

A drawback to spraying is that it doesn't take long for new weeds to
sprout. If you use a trimmer or pull, you can leave the kind of grasses
or other plants that will discourage weeds.