Old 14-07-2014, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Todd[_2_] Todd[_2_] is offline

Default Squash bugs

On 07/14/2014 03:34 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Todd wrote:
On 07/13/2014 02:28 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Got my first squash bug sighting on one of my zukes today.
A big sucker too. What is the best organic method of making
them leave?

I got Chrysanthemum spray, neam oil, hot sauce, soap,
black strap sunflower seeds. I am not opposed to adding
new things too.

Many thanks,
-T

What do you guys think of this stuff?

http://www.saferbrand.com/store/garden-care/5102

Hi David,

Some, by design, synthetic pyrethrin persist for months. I am
going for the organic ones and they break down very quickly.

And, bees are a real concern. A lot of us have trouble attracting
them, especially with the bee colony kills off of late.

Thank you for helping me with this.

-T

As a favor, would you put your replies above the "-- " (note the
space). "-- " starts the begininning of your signature block.
Everything you are wiring is coming out in your signature block.
And replies do not include signature blocks in Thunderbird. (There
are ways around it but, it takes a bunch of hand work.)
--

^^^^
Place replies above this mark

There are two approaches to being 'organic'. One is to try to keep your
garden free of long-lived toxins that stay in the environment and enter
the food chain, to avoid killing beneficial organisms and try to have a
garden that is a healthy ecology. The other is to follow a recipe and
to avoid, or always to use, specified substances.

Is spraying with 'organic' pyrethrin (I assume it is extracted from a
daisy) better or worse than pyrethrum synthesised in a stainless steel
vat? If so why?

Is killing bees (or butterflies or carnivorous ladybirds) with neem
better or worse than killing them with piperonyl butoxide? If so why?

David