Old 14-07-2014, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Todd[_2_] Todd[_2_] is offline

Default Squash bugs

On 07/14/2014 06:21 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
Todd writes:
Hi All,

Got my first squash bug sighting on one of my zukes today.
A big sucker too. What is the best organic method of making
them leave?

Before you start killing things, make sure you know what it is.
Squash bugs and soldier bugs look very similar. Are you seeing
damage (or witnessing feeding)?

Hi Drew,

Oh poop (not my "exact" word)! You may have saved me
from doing something really stupid. I need all the
predator bugs I can get. Thank you!

When you said they look similar, you really meant it!

Soldier bug:
http://www.ent.iastate.edu/images/he...oldier_bug.jpg

Stink bug (squash bugs are stink bugs):
http://www.ent.iastate.edu/images/he..._bug_adult.jpg

Last years confirmed squash bugs (all deceased):
http://powerof38.files.wordpress.com...quash-bugs.jpg

The bug I observed saw was solitary. And I know that squash
bugs are highly sociable. (Makes them easier to kill!)
And, there is no sign of any bug damage anywhere.

"I stand on the shoulders of giants!"

-T

Harvested my first two zukes yesterday. Zukes straight
from the garden to the pan, what a treat!