Old 14-07-2014, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek[_2_] Steve Peek[_2_] is offline

Default Life is Good

On Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:06:41 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Frank wrote:

On 7/12/2014 8:23 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Today we she made 9 1/2 pint jars of blackberry jam from

berries picked on our land , and canned 4 quarts of home grown green

beans . And for dinner we had spaghetti made in part from our

tomatoes last year . frozen and seasoned in part with our cayenne

peppers . In a little while , I'll top the day off with some

blackberry cobbler and ice cream .

Many years ago, I made 5 gallons of blackberry wine from blackberries

that a friend had picked at his farm. I split it with him.

I had quit making wine but 20 years later found a bottle lost in a

basement cabinet. Color was practically gone and was not intense in

the beginning as I diluted with sugar other than that from the pure

blackberries but wine was great, even after 20 years.

Oh , there WILL be wine ! Our plants are loaded , I've been picking as they

ripen . I expect a big surge next week , we should end up with 2-3 gallons

minimum frozen for later use . I gotta replace a lot of my winemaking stuff

, gave most all of it away 30 yrs ago when we moved east from Utahahaha .

I'm not sure we'll have room for all the produce from the garden plus all

the wild fruit the muscadines are loaded too in the freezer . And I have

no idea where we'll store 'em if the potatoes bear like I suspect they will

. I might actually have this growin' thing working !

--

Snag

When you have those years of abundance be sure to preserve as much as possible. There will be years without. Around here the abundance seems to be genera specific. 3 years ago the chile pepper crop was outstanding & I made loads of sweet, hot pepper relish. The last 2 years have been almost 0 crop. This year looks good, thank goodness I'm almost out of relish.
Steve