Old 14-07-2014, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Life is Good

On 7/13/2014 9:06 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 7/12/2014 8:23 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Today we she made 9 1/2 pint jars of blackberry jam from
berries picked on our land , and canned 4 quarts of home grown green
beans . And for dinner we had spaghetti made in part from our
tomatoes last year . frozen and seasoned in part with our cayenne
peppers . In a little while , I'll top the day off with some
blackberry cobbler and ice cream .

Many years ago, I made 5 gallons of blackberry wine from blackberries
that a friend had picked at his farm. I split it with him.
I had quit making wine but 20 years later found a bottle lost in a
basement cabinet. Color was practically gone and was not intense in
the beginning as I diluted with sugar other than that from the pure
blackberries but wine was great, even after 20 years.

Oh , there WILL be wine ! Our plants are loaded , I've been picking as they
ripen . I expect a big surge next week , we should end up with 2-3 gallons
minimum frozen for later use . I gotta replace a lot of my winemaking stuff
, gave most all of it away 30 yrs ago when we moved east from Utahahaha .
I'm not sure we'll have room for all the produce from the garden plus all
the wild fruit the muscadines are loaded too in the freezer . And I have
no idea where we'll store 'em if the potatoes bear like I suspect they will
. I might actually have this growin' thing working !

At the time, I had 2 peach trees and deluged with them made wine. I
quit when the trees died and the area got shaded in. I've still got my
equipment in an attic. The work in making blackberry wine is in the
picking.