Old 14-07-2014, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Life is Good

On 7/13/2014 7:20 PM, Frank wrote:
On 7/12/2014 8:23 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Today we she made 9 1/2 pint jars of blackberry jam from berries
picked
on our land , and canned 4 quarts of home grown green beans .
And for dinner we had spaghetti made in part from our tomatoes
last year
. frozen and seasoned in part with our cayenne peppers . In a little
while
, I'll top the day off with some blackberry cobbler and ice cream .

Many years ago, I made 5 gallons of blackberry wine from blackberries
that a friend had picked at his farm. I split it with him.
I had quit making wine but 20 years later found a bottle lost in a
basement cabinet. Color was practically gone and was not intense in the
beginning as I diluted with sugar other than that from the pure
blackberries but wine was great, even after 20 years.

Back in the early sixties I had put up several gallons of dewberry wine,
had a bumper crop that year. As you did I found a jug of that wine when
we were moving house in 1976. When we were settled in the new home we
had a taste of the old wine, it was so good we drank it all. There's
some magic in uncovering something you made years ago and it is still
good or even better.

We have the makings for a dozen blackberry cobblers in the freezer.
Picked at a U-pick-em farm, very large berries. Froze them on a bun pan
and then put them into vacuum bags and stashed in the freezer for future
needs.

Tomorrow we go to another U-pick-em farm to pick fifteen lbs of figs to
make fig jam with. We miss our huge fig tree in the old place as our new
one has, so far this season, given us less than a quart of figs. Of
course the tree is only about four feet tall and not very big. We have
to net it when the fruit comes on as the dang blasted mockingbirds peck
every fruit.