Old 14-07-2014, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Life is Good

On 7/13/2014 8:06 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 7/12/2014 8:23 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Today we she made 9 1/2 pint jars of blackberry jam from
berries picked on our land , and canned 4 quarts of home grown green
beans . And for dinner we had spaghetti made in part from our
tomatoes last year . frozen and seasoned in part with our cayenne
peppers . In a little while , I'll top the day off with some
blackberry cobbler and ice cream .

Many years ago, I made 5 gallons of blackberry wine from blackberries
that a friend had picked at his farm. I split it with him.
I had quit making wine but 20 years later found a bottle lost in a
basement cabinet. Color was practically gone and was not intense in
the beginning as I diluted with sugar other than that from the pure
blackberries but wine was great, even after 20 years.

Oh , there WILL be wine ! Our plants are loaded , I've been picking as they
ripen . I expect a big surge next week , we should end up with 2-3 gallons
minimum frozen for later use . I gotta replace a lot of my winemaking stuff
, gave most all of it away 30 yrs ago when we moved east from Utahahaha .
I'm not sure we'll have room for all the produce from the garden plus all
the wild fruit the muscadines are loaded too in the freezer . And I have
no idea where we'll store 'em if the potatoes bear like I suspect they will
. I might actually have this growin' thing working !

Both muscadine and possum grapes make excellent wine Terry. They also
make very good jelly. I miss being close to a friend with lots of fruit
trees and vines that he never used. Gifted him with jars and jars of
good stuff for the picking rights.

Certainly sounds like you've got it wired.