Old 14-07-2014, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Todd[_2_] Todd[_2_] is offline

Default Rabbit!

On 07/14/2014 12:57 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
snip

ESPECIALLY the poor people! They can only afford the appalling stuff served in fast-food chains. They are often ignorant of good nutrition and exercise.
Well-intentioned groups/schools/organizations try to bring understanding of those factors to their clients, but the price of good fruits and vegetables and meat/fish is often beyond their means. To wean people away from cheap (and ghastly) TV entertainment and/or computer games and into walking, biking, any form of outdoor exercise is VERY difficult..

Hi Higgs,

I think there is more going on here than your think.
After my diabetes injury and I started a Paleo diet
(no grains, minor amounts of starches, and no preprepared
food) I did not notice my weekly food budged going up much at
all. Maybe $5.00. I would say 95% of what my family eats is
home cooked. The rest, very carefully selected.

I think what is going on here is 1) poor or no home cooking and
2) addictive food like substances. I certainly loved my
pasta. "Healthy carbs" my ass. I was pretty addicted and
did not realize it until I hurt myself.

The real foods you are talking about (and I now eat) are
low profit margin food. Empty carbs (grains, etc.) are
high margin (not for the farmer, unfortunately). So,
the powers that be push the crap. You see it all the
time as don't eat fat, eat healthy carbs. Follow the money.

Songbird elaborates beautifully on the food like substance
subject. I cheer her on.

Also, bear in mind, that (my opinion) conventional produce
tastes like crap.

So that's why non-poor people are slim and poor people are (often) fat.

I have not noticed that. Pretty women (if you can call skinny women
that) seek out successful (wealthy) men would are delighted to
oblige them. The old sex object, success object thing. Maybe that
is what you are noticing? I could be wrong. Women take a lot more
crap over their weight than men do.

'Fat' is a physical condition. 'Exploited' is a political and social

I wonder what the rest of that sentence was. But so far, I
have to agree with you. Fat bigotry is alive and well. The
diet industry makes a ton of money off them. The medical industry
has a tendency to treat fat people like crap.

snip

But that strain of anti-intellectualism that has ALWAYS pervaded the American psyche, since Day One

A good thing. See the Thomas Paine quote below.

snip
... just make a buck and to hell with the environment.

The environment has been getting better all my life. I am
not sure what you are talking about. No one wants dirty
air and polluted water, especially not the conservative
movement. A lot of us are outdoors-men (I am), hunt,
fish, etc.. We definitely do not want the environment
harmed.

Here is some great environmental news. Our air quality is
getting much better over the last 10 years.

http://www.popsci.com/article/scienc...-air-pollution

-T

This quote from Thomas Paine's Common Sense (1776) will help
you understand the conservative movement and why we are actually
a bunch of radicals. His words are why were lost more of a
percent of our population in war than any other war (General
Washington had all his troops read this several times). If
you understand what he is saying, you may be able to offer
more constructive criticism of our movement. (I don't think
it will convince you, just be more constructive in your
criticism. You are definitely on the other side of this issue.)

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Paine

Society in every state is a blessing, but government even
in its best state is but a necessary evil. We have it in
our power to begin the world over again.

Some writers have so confounded society with government,
as to leave little or no distinction between them; whereas
they are not only different, but have different origins.
Society is produced by our wants, and government by our
wickedness; the former promotes our happiness POSITIVELY
by uniting our affections, the latter NEGATIVELY by
restraining our vices. The one encourages intercourse,
the other creates distinctions. The first a patron, the
last a punisher.