Old 14-07-2014, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which fruit tree?

On 2014-07-14 21:33:11 +0000, David Hill said:

On 14/07/2014 21:51, Vir Campestris wrote:
Having read the "didn't know they grew in this country" thread - it
occurs to me to ask.

There's a wall at one side of my garden which has a young, sick ash
tree. Unless some miracle happens and it looks all healthy the rest of
the year I'm going to rung bark it late in the season - which will give
me a west facing wall, sheltered by next door's house 10ft behind, which
seems to me to be a nice place to put an espalier.

Suggestions?

I'm thinking of a Sturmer Pippin apple, as they are local

Andy

If it's young what are the chances of digging it out?

And an ash tree strikes me as a strange tree to have against a garden
wall. They're forest trees, potentially enormous and I'd have thought the
root system may well do damage to the wall? I know I had one about 12'
from my house removed as it was thought it might damage the house
foundations.
--

Sacha

If its ash it is unlikely to have been planted deliberately, damn things
come up everywhere, sounds as if it may have Ash die back, I wouldn't be
shedding any tears!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs