Old 14-07-2014, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which fruit tree?

In article ,
janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

There's a wall at one side of my garden which has a young, sick ash
tree. Unless some miracle happens and it looks all healthy the rest of
the year I'm going to rung bark it late in the season - which will give
me a west facing wall,

IME ringbarking doesn't kill ash. More likely it will give you a multi stemmed
coppiced ash tree. If it's too big to dig out (without destabilising the wall) I
suggest saw it to a stump, drill holes and apply a stump killer.

I'd certainly get it out even if it looks healthy, because ash rapidly make very
large trees and their roots can mess with walls.

Right. You can kill them by removing the shoots every year, but
it will take a good many years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.