Old 15-07-2014, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Rabbit!

In article
Fran Farmer writes:
On 14/07/2014 10:41 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
Fran Farmer writes:

In addition tourists gripe where tips are expected to be handed over
after any form of service provision. Employers who expect customers to
pay for both goods received and then service provided by their employee
rather than them pay a proper wage are considered to be exploitative.

I forget where, but I read an interesting article a month or three
back on tipping. Turns out that when it started, many US states
considered it so vulgar that there were laws prohibiting it.

LOL. If you ever recall where you read that, could you post a link to
it please? Given your use of the word 'vulgar' did you get the sense
from the article that there was class related objection to tipping?

I can't find a trace of it. It was probably a link fed to me by
google news or such. My memory of that article was that it was
seen much as having employees begging from the customers.

This excerpt from the book Tipping suggests that it was seen as
bribery:

http://books.google.com/books?id=PJf...page&q&f=false

I don't mind tipping food/drink servers because I am used to it.
I'm less clear on all the other variations -- cabs, bellmen, etc.

If it worked, I wouldn't be bothered by it. But the truth of the
situation is a big assortment of disfunctions -- jerks tip small,
happy people with the money tip more, the waitress with bigger boobs
gets bigger tips, etc.

--
|Drew Lawson | If you're not part of the solution |
| | you're part of the precipitate. |