Old 15-07-2014, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Rabbit!

In article
Higgs Boson writes:
On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:59:03 AM UTC-7, Drew Lawson wrote:

I don't mind tipping food/drink servers because I am used to it.

You do something because you're used to it?

The culture I live in has many short comings and many customs that
I disagree with. I do not mind so much the one that I am familiar
with, because I know what is expected. If I want to go out to a
US restaurant, I know that tipping is exected, and that is part of
the decision whether to go.

I'm less clear on all the other variations -- cabs, bellmen, etc.

Why? They all depend on tips because the *&^^$#( society is structured that way.

I am less clear on them because I am a creature of the suburban
sprawl. I am 52 years old and have probably taken fewer than 6 cab
rides in my life.

If it worked, I wouldn't be bothered by it. But the truth of the
situation is a big assortment of disfunctions -- jerks tip small,
happy people with the money tip more, the waitress with bigger boobs
gets bigger tips, etc.

Actually, poorer people tip more because they know what it's like
to work hard for shit wages.

I chose "with the money" intentionally. You can't give what you
don't have. Dinner out after getting a bonus may well have me
tipping more than usual because I can and life feels good.

I like to think I tip well, and the reason behind it is that I know
wait staff work harder than I do sitting in my cubical. I've had
some other tech workers take issue when I've voiced that opinion
(while they are working out the tip with calculators).

Probably true about the large, undefined category of "jerks".

I'm not sure what this means.

Typical male response about morphology of waitresses.

Do you mean the tipping, or my comment?
I can only speak for myself, but I know after several beers at the
pub that unfair detail can make the difference between a good tip
and a great one. (It makes more sense after several beers.)

My step-daughter has waited tables a lot. Her reports are that a
lower cut top makes for better take-home. (The same held when she
was selling cars, not that was tip related.)

No attempt to at least project tipping philosophy of female customers.

Again, I'm uncertain what this means.

But your .sig is cute.

HB

--