Old 15-07-2014, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Which fruit tree?

On 15/07/2014 16:21, Jeff Layman wrote:
I would first ask why such a vigorous tree as an ash is sick. OK, it
could be ash dieback, and that would explain it. If not, is there
something in the soil which is slowly killing it? Are other plants
around it ok?

It's Chalara. The tree looks fine at the moment, but the back end of
last year it looked really bad.

The stuff around it is growing fine. Far better than it ever did in our
old garden, which was on Bagshot sand.

The trunk is about 6 inches diameter, its about 2ft from the wall, and
about 20ft from next door's house. Given some of the other comments I'll
kill it anyway (ringbarking when in leaf will help dry the timber for
the fire).

Now - stump killer. I can't use sodium chlorate any more... so what
should I use?

Andy