Old 16-07-2014, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Loops: way of hanging hosepipe

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:37:26 +0100, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I've tried a new (to me) way of hanging a hose on a hook, so that it's
not twisted/snagged when it's unwound for use. I call it "Loops".

1. Run the hose out preferably on a long stretch of garden, so that all
the kinks etc can be removed.

And even better if that can be down hill so the residual water can
drain out (stop connectors having a coupler put in to open them...).

3. You'll see you've made your first loop. Bring the loop up to the hook
and hang it there.

4. Now you have 2 new loops, so bring them up and hang them together on
the hook.

5. Now bring the 4 new loops and hang them together on the hook, and the
job's done.

I don't follow that at all, sorry. Doesn't hanginga hose on a hook
strees it at the point of contact. Old car wheel attached to wall
will provide btter support.

Day job involves handling cables up to 50 m in length and anything
from 1/4" dia and flexible to 3/4" dia and not very flexible.

The big stuff it either wound onto and pulled off drums, no twists
introduced. If not on a drum it will be laid on the ground in a
"figure of 8" pattern. Each loop end of the eight puts in a twist BUT
in opposite directions so when you pick up the top of the heap end
and walk away it just pulls off the heap, the twists cancelling out.

Small cables are hand coiled but with a technique that alternates the
direction of the twist between each loop. So again they cancel out
when you walk away from the coil lying on the ground with an end.

Various YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqbYyaUY5Sk - Clear demo of twist
free hand coiling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLwwB29uQRg - How not to's and the
other hand position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaEv9wm6gy0 - Alternative "ladder"
type

Be aware that if you take an end through the loops of coil, you can
end up with a series of knots. Don't panic they are all tied in the
same direction so just take and end and follow the cable back through
all the knots and pull, they'll all come undone, no need to do each
one individually.

--
Cheers
Dave.