Old 17-07-2014, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Cannas

On 2014-07-17 08:19:47 +0000, Pam Moore said:

This year, for the first time, I bought some expensive cannas.
They are in pots, doing well but one is being eaten. The ends of the
new rolled-up leaves are being turned to lace and I fear for the
flower buds. If it were slugs/snails surely I'd see some silver trails
on the leaves? There is nothing. I seem to remember a few years ago on
GQT somebody had a similar problem and as the leaves unfurled the
bites came out as letters.Nothing so spectacular on mine.
Any ideas about the culprit?

Pam near Bristol

There is a tiny, tiny caterpillar (I think it's a caterpillar) that
does just as you describe, Pam, rolling up the ends of leaves. If you
can carefully open the leaf and find the little brute, good. If not, I
think you'll have to spray. I can't remember the name of the pesky
creature but will ask Ray when he comes in, unless someone recalls it
beforehand.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com