Old 17-07-2014, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Loquats

On 16/07/2014 22:39, Spider wrote:

It answers my question well enough, thank you Jeff! It is interesting
to read so much about them. Our seed came from fruit eaten on one of
the Balearic Islands (I forget which), and for years we simply called
the plant "Nispero" because that is what it was called on the menu, so
it was nice to read that again as the Chilean name for it. I've also
seen it spelt "Nespero", perhaps a regional spelling.

I have to laugh! It's native to China (but why then "japonica"?. You
ate it in southern Europe, with a common name from South America, and
it's becoming a pest in South Africa. And we have a comment from a
grower in the UK, on a North American website.. Pretty cosmopolitan
plant, I'd say!

I shall go back to that Dave's Garden link as there is so much still to
read. Thank you very much.

There is indeed. I find the whole website quite useful - in particular
for photos.

--

Jeff