Old 17-07-2014, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter James[_6_] Peter James[_6_] is offline

Default Ugh

Broadback wrote:

On 17/07/2014 10:03, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:34:09 +0100, Sacha

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

About 40 years ago I worked with Danish chap who assured us all that
there is some snack available back home which is slug rolled in
oatmeal and deep fried!

Steve

I've often wondered about that after all snails are a well known
delicacy, so why not slugs?

Years ago, when I was a young man of about 23 I was a keen coarse
fisherman, and I used to fish the River Kennett , for amongst other
fish, Chubb. And one of the really good baits for Chubb are those
delightful looking keel slugs, the big black ones, with the revolting
looking orange ones a good second.

Collecting them from the nearby park after dark in torchlight was one
thing, but putting them on the hook was an absolute abomination. I will
draw a blank about the "squishyness" of the horrid things. But they did
catch Chubb! So at the time it seemed a worthwhile price to pay.

I'm sure I couldn't do it now!

Peter

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential