Old 17-07-2014, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Loquats

On 17/07/2014 10:09, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 16/07/2014 22:39, Spider wrote:

It answers my question well enough, thank you Jeff! It is interesting
to read so much about them. Our seed came from fruit eaten on one of
the Balearic Islands (I forget which), and for years we simply called
the plant "Nispero" because that is what it was called on the menu, so
it was nice to read that again as the Chilean name for it. I've also
seen it spelt "Nespero", perhaps a regional spelling.

I have to laugh! It's native to China (but why then "japonica"?. You
ate it in southern Europe, with a common name from South America, and
it's becoming a pest in South Africa. And we have a comment from a
grower in the UK, on a North American website.. Pretty cosmopolitan
plant, I'd say!

:~) Yes, I go along with most of that, but assume that the
Nispero/Nespero tag is essentially Spanish, a language spoken by more
than one country/continent, no doubt due to colonisation. I didn't know
it was originally a Chinese plant, though. The tree certainly seems to
be cosmopolitan, but I wonder at its being a pest. I can't imagine it's
that invasive.

It is very welcome where it is in my garden, even when it doesn't fruit,
because it grows on the edge of a small bank, helping to stabilise the
soil there and offering good shade. It is a handsome structural tree.
The litter of its fallen leaves which are large, leathery and
persistant, can be a nuisance on the lawn, but not much of a problem
with me. I certainly wouldn't plant it near a rockery or pond, though!

I shall go back to that Dave's Garden link as there is so much still to
read. Thank you very much.

There is indeed. I find the whole website quite useful - in particular
for photos.

Yes, the photos are good there. I've often taken at peek at Dave's
Garden in the past.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London