Old 19-07-2014, 03:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default Lawn Aerator

On 7/19/2014 6:53 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

I suggest you apply a thin layer of gypsum over the area and dampen it.
Then, over the next 2-3 weeks, slowly rinse it into the soil. This
will start to break up the clay so that however you aerate it, you will
get good results.

Yes, I am a big fan of gypsum. No, I do not have any direct investment
in any company that mines, processes, or sells gypsum.

Which answers te question I was going to ask. We are quite rightly called "Clay
Township" and even aerating once a year for 5 years and twice for the
last 3 haven't made any noticable improvement in problem areas. Gypsum now and then aerate in the fall?

In my area, rain (if it ever falls again ) is in the winter. I apply
gypsum in November. Not having small children any more to run across my
small lawn, I do not need to mechanically aerate. (Visits from
grandchildren are an occasional treat.) When I had a larger lawn and
small children, I would mechanically aerate about two weeks after
applying gypsum. This would mean that I maximized the penetration of
rain.

The answer to your question thus depends on your climate.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see